5.10.2018

A Book I Read: Cooking Edition

A cookbook?! I am certainly not an expert on cooking or cookbooks or food so this is very much a layman's review. I am however an expert on eating so that is what this book review is based on.

We have made upwards of 15 recipes from Smitten Kitchen Everyday by Deb Perelman and, I say this without hesitation, ALL have been delicious.

Anyone else have the opposite of the first pancake effect when they make new recipes? It seems like the first time I make a new recipe it is delicious and I love it and I eat it all. But then I try to make it a second or third time and it's just not as good. It's usually still good enough to eat but something just feels off.

None of the recipes we've tried from this book have had that happen. We keep making them over and over and they are just as good every time. This is what made me want to share about this book, I don't have another cookbook that I can say this about. Well done, Deb. I'm probably the last person that has any merit in saying that but oh well.

Many if not all of the recipes can most likely be found on the Smitten Kitchen website. But they are slightly different and I think maybe the ones in the book have been perfected, and possibly simplified, and are therefore better? I don't really know that, it's just an impression.

If you click the cover, it will take you to Amazon where you can buy the book. The other links on here will take you to Deb's site. 

Here are our very very favorites:

Perfect Blueberry Muffins

We've made this one three times. Crunchy top, warm and gooey on the inside. 


Roasted Tomato Soup with Broiled Cheddar

Made this one too many times to count. If you've been to our house for dinner since Christmas its most likely we had this. 


Crispy Tofu and Broccoli with Sesame-Peanut Pesto

This pesto is incredibly delicious. Peanutty, salty, with a little bit of sweet ginger.


Pizza Beans

Sounds weird, incredibly delicious.


One-Pan Farro with Tomatoes

Also have made this too many times to count. Easy and tomato-y and warm.


Pork Tenderloin Agrodolce with Squash Rings

Tyler made this for Valentine's day and it was incredible. The sauce is tangy and sweet and the way the pork is seasoned was perfection.


Bake Sale Winning-est Gooey Oat Bars

Exactly what it says. These would win the bake sale every time. Not too sweet and the perfect amount of goo.


Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Do you want to hear how little I know about life? I didn't know that coffee cake was called coffee cake because it goes well with coffee. I thought it was because it was made with coffee. Oh dear. Bless my heart. Also, this cake is delicious. And probably goes really well with coffee. But is also delicious on its own. 

Latest Instagrams

© Proper Post. Design by FCD.